Tetsuro Sakai, MD, PhD
Professor of Anesthesiology
Director of Scholarly Development, Department of Anesthesiology
Professor, Clinical Translational Science Institute
Faculty Member, McGowan Institute of Regenerative Medicine
MUH N 469.11
200 Lothrop Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Kyoto University Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Kyoto University Faculty of Medicine, MD
Kyoto University Faculty of Medicine, PhD, Cardiovascular Surgery
Tenri Hospital, Nara, Japan, General Internal Medicine/Surgery Internship
Tenri Hospital, Nara, Japan, Cardiovascular Surgery
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Internal Medicine Internship
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Anesthesiology
University of Toronto, Clinical/ Research Fellow, Cardiovascular Surgery
Hepatic/Multivisceral transplantation anesthesiology
Educaton in resident scholarly activity; Hepatic transplantation anesthesiology
After becoming a board certified cardiovascular surgeon in Japan and completing fellowship training at Toronto General Hospital, Dr. Sakai worked as a visiting instructor of thoracic organ transplantation surgery at UPMC from 1999 to 2001. Upon completing his anesthesiology residency in 2005, he joined the faculty and joined the hepatic transplantation anesthesiology team. He pursues research interests in clinical care, basic research, and education. Dr. Sakai has been elected to the Association of University Anesthesiologists (2013), and was promoted to Professor (2014), and appointed as the inaugural Director of Scholarly Development (2014)
(Selected from 90 peer-reviewed manuscripts)
- Matsusaki T, Hilmi, IA, Planinsic, RM, Humar, A, Sakai, T. Cardiac Arrest during Adult Liver Transplantation: a Single Institution’s Experience with 1,238 Deceased Donor Transplants. Liver Transplantation. 19:1262-71; 2013.
- Lu SY, Matsusaki T, Abuelkasem E, Sturdevant ML, Humar A, Hilmi IA, Planinsic RM, Sakai T. Complications Related to Invasive Hemodynamic Monitors during Adult Liver Transplantation. Clinical Transplantation. 27:823-8; 2013.
- Lu SY, Tanaka KA, Abuelkasem E, Planinsic RM, Sakai T. Clinical Applicability of Rapid Thrombelastography and Functional Fibrinogen Thrombelastography in Adult Liver Transplantation. Liver Transplantation 20:1097-105; 2014.
- Sakai T, Emerick TD, Metro DG, Patel RM, Hirsch SC, Winger DG, Xu Y. Facilitation of Resident Scholarly Activity: Strategy and Outcome Analyses Using Historical Resident Cohorts and a Rank-to-Match Population. Anesthesiology. 120:111–9; 2014.
- Sakai T. Residents' scholarly activity- a cost analysis with regard to its effects on departments. Curr Opin Anesthesiol. 28:180–5; 2015.
- Sakai T, Emerick TD, Patel RM. A Retrospective Review of Required Projects in Systems-Based Practice in a Single Anesthesiology Residency: A Ten-Year Experience. Journal of Clinical Anesthesia 27:451-6; 2015.